Yet another “F” word has come to mind this week, and no, it’s not fireworks (though I am pretty stoked for the 4th of July). The word that comes is Food! I’m sure we’re all going to be enjoying awesome food this weekend and probably a whole lot of grillin’ going on. Most people know me as a dessert junky (guilty) but I love a (veggie) burger right off the grill as much as the next person. One of the new favorites in our home are my Veggie Burgers, so I thought I would share the recipe with you. The Veggie Burgers are quick to make and seem to be devoured even more quickly! Here goes:
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/3 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 flax egg (1T flax or chia meal + 3T water; let sit 5min)
- 1c quick oats or coursely chopped rolled oats
- 1T spicy mustard
- 2T nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1Tea. onion and garlic powder
- 1t paprika
- lots of salt and pepper and whatever seasonings you like, really!
- (ghost pepper chili powder; totally optional, I used 6 tiny shakes and there was plenty heat!)
I said this comes together quickly… Heat a grill pan on the stove top to medium heat (or fire up your grill!). Using a food processor, shred your zucchini, onion and carrot. Squish the contents of the food processor with a paper towel to soak up as much of the water as you can.
Using your hands (fyi, this is a messy process) add your rinsed and drained black beans to a mixing bowl and loosely squish them around with your hands so that they are decently mashed but you keep a few of the beans intact. Now add all of your other ingredients and mix the contents until its all well incorporated. If you think it’s too wet, add a few more oats to the mix. Form your mixture into five or six patties and start grilling! I cooked mine about 6 minutes on each side cause they were kind of thick and I like them a little burnt.