Rather than bore you with a lot of information about the health benefits of kale (because the list is ginormous!), here are some of the highlights:
- It’s an anti-inflammatory – helpful for those with arthritis or an autoimmune disease (Celiac Disease, can I get an amen?).
- Kale has calcium – Calci-YUM! See? You don’t need dairy, Kale actually has more calcium than milk.
- And finally (though I could go on), it’s loaded with iron – With more iron than beef, kale keeps your liver functioning.
now you can have that extra glass of wine…
Now with all that great information (cause knowledge is power…), here’s one of my favorite ways to enjoy this super green.
Cheesy Kale & Artichoke Dip
vegan, grain free
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 handfuls of washed, chopped and dried kale
- 1 can of quartered artichokes
- 2T hemp seeds
- 4T nutritional yeast
- 3 garlic cloves… I really like garlic, feel free to use less!
- 1T onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Pull out your handy dandy food processor and begin to blend your avocado with all of your ingredients (except the kale and artichokes). You want a creamy consistency and now is a good time to check the taste. On a stove top over medium heat, you want to wilt your kale until it’s soft. You can use oil or water, I used a little bit of coconut oil (another wonder food). Once its warmed, begin adding the kale and artichokes to your food processor. Chop/process until you’ve reached a consistency you like fo yo dip!
And that’s it… a delightful dip of superfoods, enjoy!